An evaluation essay gives a complete view of an item, business, or service’s quality. This type of essay is based on reason and is unbiased. Although it may reflect some aspects of the writer’s views, when written properly, the essay does not seem to be reflecting a single opinion of the writer. Most people may have read some of the other types of evaluation papers. Often when you read a product or movie review, you come across this type of writing. But to write this form of essay, you should possess a deep understanding of the way it is composed. In this article, you’ll learn every step of creating an essay of this sort.
What Is an Evaluation Essay?
The principal aim of an essay that requires a person to assess something is to give validation of the quality of a specific item, business, and the like. You will find that every essay of this type has some kind of an opinion.
However, if you want to write it correctly, it’s important that you compose it in a manner that readers do not find opinionated. A thought-provoking evaluation writing is driven by facts and follows a rationale.
To compose evaluations properly, it’s imperative to adhere to the Criteria Judgment Evidence (CJE) guidelines. Here is what each one of them implies.
It shows the desire to showcase what you think should come as a reasonable outcome for the thing you are evaluating. It’s crucial to establish clear and concise criteria so that you prevent your evaluation from turning excessively opinionated. The criteria you set should specify what is optimal for a brand or the product you are assessing. Reflect on the best example of the item or a similar brand. Think of their best feature or characteristic. For instance, if you are evaluating a hotel room, your expectations would include good accommodation, hygiene, and great customer service. Now, you can start evaluating any hotel room.
It accrues from establishing if your criteria are being fulfilled. At this point, you demonstrate if the benchmarks have been satisfied or not. Look at the example of the hotel room above. You can begin judging if the hotel fulfills the crucial standards of providing comfortable accommodation. You can judge based on whether it duly fulfills or surpasses your expectations or whether it does not deliver as per the criteria you have set. After establishing the judgment, you should move on to the next step.
Evidence refers to all of the data that provides support to the judgment. One cannot judge in the air. You must support it with valuable evidence. Evidence includes clues through which you communicate your decision. Following the example above, if you made the judgment that the accommodation was not suitable, you’ll need to support this judgment with information about why it wasn’t good.
When structuring an evaluation write-up, every paragraph consists of a different criterion. In a particular paragraph, a specific criterion is explained thoroughly.
Also, read about.
Difference Between Evaluation Essay and Review
A prevalent mistake that students make with writing evaluations is assuming that it’s almost the same as creating a review. It’s easy to think like that as these two kinds of papers have various similarities. But essentially, they are not the same. If you want to know how to write an evaluation essay properly, you need to understand the differences between an evaluation and a review. Here are the key differences that make both these papers distinct.
In an evaluation write-up, the writer analyses the topic comprehensively to attain an in-depth look.
The writer will provide a very general study of the topic without going in too deep in a review.
Although evaluations have some opinion, it is unbiased and evidence-based as a whole.
On the other hand, you can write a review that is based entirely on your own opinion without putting in any evidence.
The author of an evaluation should utilize a specific set of criteria for top judgment.
Contrarily, there’s no need to set criteria in a review. The author can voice their views and opinions on any component of the topic.
In an evaluation work, there must be valid evidence or proof. It is what provides support and lends credibility to the judgment that the writer makes.
On the other hand, there is no evidence requirement in a review. It is because the writer is voicing their personal opinion and so needs no evidence for it.
In an evaluation write-up, it’s essential to refer to or cite all the sources through which the author has come to a particular judgment.
In a review, there’s no need to refer to any source.
How to Prepare Evaluation Essay Outline?
Now that you know much about what an evaluation write-up consists of, you can start preparing to write it effectively. It would be best to always begin by creating an outline for your essay. It comprises an introduction, body paragraphs, and a concluding portion.
You should write an introduction that is five sentences long. Write one sentence for every one of the following points in it.
- Interest – Write a sentence about whatever it is that you are evaluating. Ensure that it is attractive and engaging so that the reader becomes interested in reading it.
- Notify – Notify your audience of background data on the item or service that you are evaluating. It’s a way to demonstrate your knowledge of it.
- Translate – State the question again. For this type of essay, you can restate a statement like ‘This essay evaluates the article/item/product by analyzing its strengths and shortcomings and sees how it fares against set criteria.’
- Report – Assert what’s your ultimate evaluation. For instance, you can write, ‘While the product has certain shortcomings, this evaluation will demonstrate that it indeed helps in doing a task better than before.’
- Outline – Present a concise overview of your discussion. For instance, you can write ‘Firstly this write-up will assess the item according to criteria. This criterion will be how fit it is for the purpose and the ease of using it. Secondly, the evaluation will demonstrate the significant strengths and shortcomings. Lastly, it will provide a complete statement about the value of the product.’
Different paragraphs of your evaluation work give different types of information. The first paragraph gives an objective overview of the topic. It does not include any assessment. This paragraph aims to make your reader know about your evaluation topic. It should also showcase to them that you possess in-depth knowledge about the subject.
After making the reader gain some knowledge of the topic, you can begin the actual evaluation. To compose the subsequent paragraphs, you need to use the evaluation criteria that have been explained in the earlier section. Here you need to write a sentence about the product you are assessing and then give your judgment on the first criterion. You can use transition words to shift seamlessly from the thesis to the first reason.
Ensure to give valid supporting data through statistics, testimonials, or examples. Also, address any objections, or contrary views by providing good reasons for challenging them.
Your evaluation essay outline ends with the concluding portion. This portion will offer an overall assessment. Note that you can write a general evaluation only after assessing the pros and cons of an item according to your evaluation criteria. You can write a five-sentence conclusion paragraph which should proceed in the following way:
- Return to the argument you wrote in the introduction.
- Demonstrate your final position.
- Make it clear how this position is associated with the essay question.
- Describe who all should be affected by your outcome.
- Close by writing an engaging sentence about the relevance of the topic.
How to Give a Good Start To Your Evaluation Essay?
When you begin an evaluation write-up, the first thing that you need to ensure is that you are able to attract the reader’s attention. Thus, the starting should be such that you are able to hook the reader and compel them to read the rest of it. Some steps you can follow for beginning this essay are as follows:
- Determine the essay topic. It’s best to choose an exciting topic that piques the curiosity of the reader.
- Determine the structure you will follow.
- Introduce your topic or subject correctly.
- Gather background data to comprehend your topic better.
- Pay attention to the criteria you require for making a judgment.
- Give a basis of the criteria you have selected.
- Pick an exciting or interesting statement at the beginning of the essay so as to attract the reader toward it.
- Build the thesis statement surrounding your judgment.
- Gather adequate evidence to lend support and credibility to your thesis.
- Establish your viewpoint.
How to Write an Evaluation Essay?
After you make an evaluation essay outline, you can start writing it. Here are the stepwise instructions to compose this essay.
Pick a topic
Pick an exciting topic that informs some critical information to your readers. The topic should be such that you can get enough research material on it.
Create an essay outline
An outline will assist you in the writing process. It will also allow the content to flow logically. You can edit it afterward so that your final essay becomes more informative. Never begin writing the essay without making the outline. You will have to edit a lot afterward.
Proofread and edit your work
Spend adequate time revising and editing your essay. It will allow you to eliminate all undesirable mistakes. You should adjust the draft at least 2 to 3 times to eliminate all errors. It will perfect your write-up.
Expert’s Writing Tips for Evaluation Essays
Writing a thought-provoking evaluation essay needs much of your effort. The tips provided below will enable you to compose a compelling evaluation piece that easily appeals to your readers.
- Provide ample details concerning how you arrived at your conclusion.
- Give a detailed and effective introduction that clearly lays down the topic you will be evaluating and the criteria you are using.
- Facilitate your readers to agree with you by giving an unbiased evaluation. For it, the presence of adequate data and evidence to back your conclusion is imperative.
Few Good Evaluation Essay Topics for 2022
Choosing a good essay topic is the first step to creating a winning essay. Below are some great topics that will inspire you to begin writing this type of essay.
- Evaluation of online and offline teaching styles.
- How social media has impacted people’s personal relationships.
- Assessing how the new generation and the old generation perceived technology.
- A self-evaluation essay on your writing style.
- Assessment of how female and male roles have evolved in the movies from the previous decade to the present time.
- Comparison and assessment of online or virtual friendships with in-person friendships.
- An evaluation of how the addiction to video games impacts the youth of today.
- Assessing if the coaching methodologies in high school hurt the players.
- Evaluating whether historical films allow children to remember important events in history.
- The impact of self-driving cars on modern life.
- Evaluating the cost elements of a restaurant providing Italian cuisines and pizza delivery.
- Use your personal experience to assess the organization in various bars.
- Assessing the impact of marrying early versus marrying late on women.
- Evaluating the impact of eBooks on students learning
- Assessment of the effects of mental health problems on a student’s academic performance.
Also, read the latestfor 2022.
Hopefully, this comprehensive guide on composing an evaluation essay must have given you various insights on crafting a good evaluation. Implement them whenever you are assigned this academic work. Remember that in order to become perfect in writing it, you need to practice a lot. Only consistent effort on your part will allow you to achieve academic excellence.